Car accidents happen every day. In Houston, there are over 150 car accidents each day. Many are minor but there are those that cause serious injuries and even death. If you have been in a car accident, there are several things that you can do to help your case whether you will be filing a lawsuit.
- First and foremost, seek medical attention: Check on your wellbeing, and others involved. If there are any injuries or even suspected injuries, call for an ambulance. If you are unable, try to find someone who can call for Emergency Medical Services (EMS). Try to get to a safe location near the accident site.
- Contact law enforcement: If the car accident resulted in injury or death or if there is minor or major damage, then call for the police to respond. Their report will be integral in any accident claim you file. If you or someone called for an ambulance, then more than likely, the police will be dispatched as well. Do not leave the scene of an accident before police arrives.
- Document the scene: If you are able, gather evidence at the scene. You may be too injured to do this part. Getting medical attention is the most important step. But if you can use your phone to take photos of the vehicles, the street, traffic lights, position of the vehicles and your injuries. If you do not have pen and paper, take photos of drivers’ license, contact information, license plates. Take photos of surroundings that may have contributed to the accident like traffic hazards, obstructions.
- Keep conversation to a minimum: Even if you think you are at fault, do not apologize or comment about the accident. Many factors contribute to an accident scene. Answer police questions truthfully but do not talk to bystanders or the other driver about the accident. Get the appropriate medical attention, gather evidence, and cooperate with the police.
- Contact your insurance company: Get a hold of your insurance company and give them the information they ask for. Be concise but do not speculate about the accident. Do not try and mislead the insurance company, answer their questions honestly but do not speculate on fault. Attorney Paul Moody can help with dealing with insurance companies.
- Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer: Attorney Paul Moody has helped thousands of accident victims over decades of being a lawyer. He has the knowledge, experience, and resources to help you successfully file your accident claim and maximize your compensation. You may not be aware of all the losses you sustained and are due compensation for. Statistics prove that injured victims that were represented by a personal injury attorney received on average three times more compensation than those who dealt with insurance alone.
Car accident can be traumatic, and details get lost. If you follow these steps, then there is a good chance that you will have a successful accident claim and maximize your settlement. One of the most important steps besides getting the proper medical attention is to seek the counsel of an experienced personal injury lawyer. Attorney Paul Moody works on a contingency basis when it comes to personal injury cases which means you do not pay him up front. He only gets paid if you get compensated. The initial consultation is free. So, if you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a car accident, contact Attorney Paul Moody before you tackle the insurance company. He can help you get the most out of your accident claim.